Attendance records follow the students from the home school. School board policy is in effect at the alternative school (Board Policy 6.200; 6.319).
EXCUSED ABSENCES: Students are required to attend school. Only the principal or his / her designee can excuse a student from the school. Parents must request an excused absence. If parents or guardians have not called by 7:30am, verification may be required for that day and additional days. A parent note or verification is required when student returns. The parent should continue to call each additional day unless told otherwise. Excused absences may count as a day served.
Excused Absences will be granted for:
* Personal illness
*Death in the family
* Court date
* Unforeseen crisis
* Parent Note
UNEXCUSED ABSENCES: Unexcused absences will count as an assertive discipline level and could result in expulsion.
TARDY: Students are expected to arrive at school on time. The following is the HCBOE Tardy Policy:
Tardy 1: 1 point
Tardy 2: 1 point
Tardy 3: 1 point
Tardy 4: 3 points
Tardy 5: 3 points
Tardy 6: 3 points
Each TARDY after Number 6 may result in a Level / Office Referral.
EARLY DISMISSAL: Students will be counted absent if they leave before they have been in attendance a half day. However, students must serve six hours for that day to count as a successful day. The principal or his / her designee will review each case and make a determination for early dismissal. All safety precautions will be taken before allowing a student to leave school.
The wearing of the alternative school uniform is a very important aspect of the school and the self-discipline of the student. It also demonstrates preparation for school and a positive attitude. If a student does not wear their uniform each day in an appropriate manner, it could result in expulsion. Students must remain in complete uniform until they are off school premises. Students are not allowed to remain at the school unless they are in a complete uniform. The students will call home and the missing item must be brought to the school. If that is not possible, the student will be suspended the following day for a uniform violation.
All students must follow the following standardized dress:
Pants / Slacks (males and females)
* Pants / slacks must be khaki colored dress pants, with no cuff and must be loose fitting (no legging, jegging, or jean material). No joggers are allowed. Pants must be able to be pulled above the knee for morning search purposes.
* Slacks must be hemmed and worm at the waistline.
* No painter or cargo pockets permitted.
* Slacks will not be unreasonably tight or unreasonably baggy.
* No shorts nor pants may be worn under the khaki pants / slacks. If a student wears anything other than the correct undergarments, then they face disciplinary action.
* Solid white or light blue, button-down collar, or straight collar dress shirt (no denim) will be worn by both males and females. No polo shirts are allowed.
* All shirts must be neatly tucked, and all buttons must be in place and buttoned. Buttons at the neck must also be fastened.
* All shirts must have long sleeves or appropriate short sleeves (extending at least to the midpoint between the shoulder and elbow).
* Plain white tee shirts may be worn under the dress shirt. All undergarments must be white and have no writing or symbols that can be seen through the shirt. Wearing a shirt that can be seen through the dress shirt will result in a uniform violation.
* Standard jackets and coats may be worn to and from school.
* No biker jackets or oversized coats (including trench coats) are permitted.
* Jackets and coats are not to be worn in classroom.
* Coats are to be removed immediately upon entering the building.
* Students may wear conservative athletic or dress shoes with soft soles (low-top only).
* Sandals, flip-flops, crocs, house shoes, and boots will not be permitted.
* Shoelaces may only be black or white.
Socks / Hose
* Solid or opaque socks or athletic socks much be coordinated with the flacks or skirts and must match.
* Tennis / golf ankle socks will be permitted.
* Ties will be worn around the neck by both males and females and will be solid navy or solid black. No patterns can be on the tie.
* Solid colored belts made of soft leather or cloth should be worn and visible if slacks or skirts have belt loops.
* No large buckles will be permitted.
For all Apparel and Jewelry
* No messages, writing, or large logos can be worn or seen.
* All clothing must be neat with no holes, rips, or tears.
* Clothing will fit properly and will not be unreasonably tight or unreasonably baggy.
* No jewelry will be permitted except for analog watches. Watches that receive message will NOT be permitted. Apple watches are not allowed.
* No outerwear (i.e....shorts) will be worn with the uniform.
A student's hair will be worn in a manner that does not disrupt the educational process or does not call attention to the individual. No unusual coloring or hairstyle will be permitted. (No headbands of any type will be allowed).
* Hair should be no longer than should length. No shaved heads will be permitted. Sideburns will not go below the ear. No facial hair will be permitted except for a neat mustache that does not exceed the width of the mouth nor cover the upper lip (no five o'clock shadow) when arriving to school.
* Hair should always be above the eyebrows. If this becomes a problem, the student will be required to get a haircut before returning to school.
* A student's hair must remain either up or down the entire day. No hairbands will be allowed to be used after a student arrives at school.
* Notched eyebrows must be colored in neatly and remain colored in.
* No student will be allowed to have overly long or jagged fingernails.
* No hats, headdress, or hat wear of any king will be worn inside the building. (No headbands of any type will be allowed.)
* No book bags permitted.
* Students will remain a clean and neat appearance. Students who come to school and are not clean will be sent home and a level will be recorded for a violation of dress code.
If a student must call home for a part of their uniform, they will receive a warning on the first offense; a deduction of one point for the second offense, 2 points for the third offense, and a level for the 4th, 5th, and 6th offense.
The principal will have the right to take appropriate action to correct any student who appearance, while not specifically covered by this policy, is considered by said principal to be out of compliance with board stated goal or to be disruptive of the educational process or sense of decency.